The most famous dish of Bhutan is the classy Ema Datsi ( Ema means Chilli and Datsi means cheese) Fresh cottage cheese would give it more flavor and taste.
I love dried chilli especially for ema datsi. Red or green chillies will always hold a special place in my kitchen as they add so much flavor and texture and chilli never go out of season.
Serves 4- I had to prepare a large amount because I had friends coming over for dinner.
Ingredients: ( you can also use ginger and coriander leaves)
- 6 dried red chillies
- 3 garlic cloves- crushed or sliced
- 1/2 onion finely sliced
- 3-4 cheese slices
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- spring onion
- Cut chillies into half as shown in the image below;
2. Finely chop onion, garlic and spring onion
3. Then put all ingredients into a pot ( except garlic), add a cup of cold water,salt to taste and 3 tablespoon of cooking oil. I am using olive oil here. Bring to boil in medium heat.
4. Add cheese ( 3-4 slices) after 5 minutes of cooking with the lid on.
5. When the cheese starts to melt, add garlic, put lid on for 2 minutes, stir and turn off the heat.
6. Ready to serve with rice. You can also serve it with toast and roti ( Indian bread)